12.20.2008

Lunatic

I'm far too lazy to cross everything off the list below. We got to my parents' house safe and sound despite looming weather conditions. On to explaining the title of this post.

After a pleasant morning with family, we decided to have lunch at a local Vietnamese restaurant. As I attempted to change lanes in order to turn into the parking lot of the restaurant, I noticed an Albuquerque police car on my right. I started signalling with plenty of time and slowed down so that the Albuquerque police officer could pass, except that the Albuquerque police officer's car slowed down, so I couldn't get over. In a moment of confusion, I raised my hands as if to say, 'What are you doing?', which was apparently interpreted as an obscene gesture.

The lights came on, I pulled over, and my door was wrenched open by an irate and completely unprofessional officer of the Albuquerque police force. She berated me for flipping her off, called me a lunatic, and slammed me up against my car. My mom sat in the car in stunned silence as the Albuquerque police officer continued to scream at me about not being able to get to a call about a man with a gun because she was worrying about a lunatic like me on the road.

Needless to say, I was shaken. I'm still debating whether to bother filing a formal complaint against the Albuquerque officer. On one hand, I can understand why she was so upset as she thought I had made an obscene gesture. On the other, I think the Albuquerque police officer's behavior was completely unprofessional and pretty much entirely uncalled for. I don't think I look sketchy, but maybe I do...

9 comments:

Amina said...

omg!
that was sooo unprofessional!
I am so sorry you had to go through this!!
I would let it go because i won't want to see her face again....but then i totally understand if you file a complaint!!

Charlotte said...

Whaaaaaaa?

Are you serious? File a complaint. Heck, file two!

FoxyJ said...

Um, wow. Did she give you a ticket or just a "warning"? I would certainly file a complaint. That was strange...

Alicia said...

I would totally fight it... you even have a witness to the whole thing, your mom!!! Any person in the right mind would go take the call about a man with a gun over someone supposedly flipping you off!!! FIGHT IT!!!!

llegue said...

File it! Oh my gosh!!!

April said...

Seriously crazy!!! I am pretty sure I would file a complaint. I am sure you will be laughing about this in no time.

Kelly said...

I say file a complaint. I know I'm late to the game on this, but I am incensed for you.

(Side note: Ha! The word verification is "torts". Which is a class every first year law student has to take and which every torts professor will tell you comes from the French word for "harm" and which covers the realm of civil actions against people or companies. Apparently the internets think you should file a civil claim against the police officer. :) )

Kim said...

ok Maria this is a little late but can't believe that. Then again those police down there are on the edge. My hubby watches COPS, seriously like every episope,(kinda sad) and most of the episodes are filmed in Albacrappy. So sorry that happened to you. How crazy!!!

ferskner said...

Oh man, I don't check blogs for a couple of months, and THIS is what I return to?!?! Holy freaking crap!!!