1.30.2009

25 Things (aka, Gosh, I'm Lazy)

1. I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes. That means I'm not afraid to throw out a disaster and eat Cup 'o Soup for dinner.

2. In theory, I love to travel. In practice, I hate airplanes. Something about recirculating air, tiny cups of watery soda, and airplane bathrooms just puts me over the edge of sanity.

3. Before I started grad school, I really loved to read. I still enjoy reading for pleasure during the summer, but it is the last thing I want to do during the school year.

4. I am terrified of being buried alive or drowning. The thought of that claustrophobic 'I can't breathe' feeling being the last experience of my life is terrifying. Ergo, I tend to be claustrophobic. Don't get too close and definitely don't hug me too hard.

5. I love watching TV on DVD. My favorite shows are Arrested Development, The Office, and Veronica Mars. There's something so comforting about joining my favorite TV families for a little decompression after a long day at school.

6. I don't know how I lived before I had a TiVo. I hate commercials. Why are they always so much louder than regular television? And irritating?

7. Mr. H-B and I were originally going to get married on August 13, 2008. It's a good thing two of our brothers couldn't come that day, because I really didn't want to have to celebrate an anniversary on Friday the 13th. August 12th is a much more pleasing anniversary.

8. I am allergic to formaldehyde and toluene, both ingredients in fingernail polish. There are disastrous consequences when I use a polish that contains either of these. Trust me on this.

9. I eat string cheese at least three times a week. It's a great snack that's easy to pack. I avoid feeling like a kindergartner by eating it in bites instead of pulling it apart into strings.

10. I like taking pictures of random things. Mr. H-B mocks me for snapping shots of lamps, manhole covers, everything I cook.

11. I have a really hard time eating odd numbers of things like popcorn or small candies. I count the popcorn as I put it in my mouth, just to be sure.

12. When I was younger, I had to be in control of the remote whenever we watched TV. I often went so far as to take it with me when I had to leave the TV room. This has gotten considerably better and I no longer take the remote to the restroom with me.

13. I hate clutter. I am constantly bagging things to take to Goodwill in a futile attempt to keep the chaos under control.

14. However, I find it very difficult to get rid of books.

15. I love all of our nieces and nephews, but having our own children scares the crap out of me. Taking care of a dog is hard enough, but no one calls the cops if you leave a dog in a crate all day while you're at school.

16. I feel guilty for leaving Greta in her crate all day, so we always have 'tummy rub time' when I get home. Let me clarify: I rub Greta's stomach. Not the other way around.

17. It takes all of my willpower not to give in and buy the latest gadget. I love new computers, cellphones, PDAs, etc.

18. I really like kitchen gadgets. My dream is to someday have a kitchen big enough to hold a stand mixer in addition to the other things I have. Come to think of it, I'm looking forward to having a kitchen with more than 3 1/2 feet of continuous counter space.

19. I lived in an apartment with hardwood floors in Boston and have sworn I will never do that again. I hated trying to keep the dust bunnies buffalo under control.

20. I really like fresh fruit and wish I could always have a bowl of it on the counter. Unfortunately, I can't stand the fruit flies that take over our apartment. I have to settle for frozen fruit a lot of the time.

21. I absolutely cannot stand the sound of styrofoam scraping against styrofoam or cardboard. The sound makes me physically ill.

22. When Mr. H-B and I combined our DVD collections, we only had two doubles to get rid of despite our similar taste in movies.

23. I can't wait until the so-called digital transition happens so that obnoxious banner will stop running across the top of the television screen.

24. I have a good memory. I remember things that happened yesterday as well as many things that happened 25-plus years ago. But I don't just remember what happened, I remember details like what people were wearing or what was on the radio.

25. But I cannot memorize music to save my life. After I forgot my recital piece mid-performance in 5th grade, I never tried again.

13 comments:

FoxyJ said...

I'm exactly the same with the last two things: I have a great memory for a lot of things, but I totally can't memorize music. The one year I was in marching band I totally faked it.

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

Yeah, I was also a total faker in marching band. Man I'm glad to be done with that particular form of institutionalized torture.

smarteze said...

I was married on Friday the 13th. I wasn't excited about it at first, but now it's just one more fun thing about our marriage. :)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I can tell you why commercials are louder. They figure that most people leave the room during commercials so they blare them louder to make sure you hear about their amazing product. I HATE it when the guy screams the whole commercial. (You know that guy who does oxy clean and other products. WHY????)

Cathryn said...

We have hardwood floors in LA and the dust monsters are horrible!! It makes me feel better to realize that this may be a product of wood floors and not us being dirty - because generally we are fairly clean people!

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

smarteze--that would be kind of cool actually... stupid brothers!

celia--oh, yes, i hate that guy too. seriously, man, don't scream about it.

cathryn--no, it's not you. you have to be a total floor nazi to keep them clean--like sweeping under every piece of furniture every single day. that's just not practical.

Deborah said...

Very interesting. I knew a lot of those but had forgotten most of them. FYI, you used Mr. H-B's first name in number 10.

chosha said...

I forget how long ago things happened. I will remember all the details, but can't put a date on it - not even a year. However, I can memorise pretty much anything set to music.

Right with you on 6. 11 is very cute. 22 is very random and very interesting...how did that happen? I wonder. Maybe you like similar movies, but have different reasoning for buying a movie as opposed to not doing so.

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

Deb--yeah, i think that comes from living together for a year and a half. i bet Mr. H-B doesn't even know all of these things yet...

Chosha--it was really odd that we had so few doubles. strangely enough, we didn't have very many movies that the other hadn't seen. i have netflix to thank for that. i don't know what Mr. H-B's excuse is.

jenc24 said...

I didn't know you were a V Mars fan! I'm still so mad at the CW for the way they handled things with that show. I mean, some kind of series finale would have been nice. I'm still boycotting that network, the jerks. Haha, can you tell I have strong feelings about this?

Lady Steed said...

Must tell you that I am currently living in a house with hard wood floors and do not have a dust buffalo problem and I only vacuum, at most, once every two weeks (I am so embarrassed)I am not at all a floor Nazi. But when my hair was long, there was a problem but now that it is short, no dust/hairball problems. I have sworn to never have wall to wall carpet, bad for allergies.

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

jenc--I totally agree with you.

LS--perhaps the length of hair is key. There were always two of us with shoulder-length or longer hair...

The Payne Family said...

LOL. You crack me up and make my day a little more smiley. Thanks! Good thing I found out Greta is your dog and you weren't saving your T-bones for your daughter's v-day gift :)