2.17.2009

Perfect Day

Ha! You thought I was going to write about Valentine's Day, didn't you? Mr. H-B and I had a lovely day. We watched Ghostbusters, twice (once without commentary and once with), and then ate home-cooked T-bone steaks (a marked-down Sam's Club splurge--so frugal, no?) saving the bones for Greta's Valentine's Day.

Anyway, I've been thinking for awhile about perfect days. What would my perfect day consist of? What would I do? Where would I go? What would I eat?

Here's what I finally came up with:
  • 8:00 am--Wake up to sun streaming in the windows (impossible given our apartment faces west) and the sound of birds chirping (not lawnmowers or moving trucks in reverse).
  • 8:15 am--Mr. H-B says "Let's go to breakfast at Cracker Barrel." (I'm totally embarrassed by my love for the french toast there, but it is so good.) And "Oh yeah, there's plenty of hot water, so you can take as long as you want in the shower."
  • 9:00 am--Breakfast at Cracker Barrel.
  • 10:00 am--Quick walk-through of TJ Maxx where I find the ultimate, perfectly-sized, buttery soft black purse for a steal and, of course, we have the money in our bank account.
  • 10:30 am--Spend 30 minutes at Kohl's and find four shirts that fit and are flattering. Also very cute shoes (clearly, I have simple taste or live in a small town).
  • 11:00 am--Stop at Blockbuster and rent two new releases that will turn out to be either hysterically funny or heartwarming in a non-cheesy way (this will not include any rom-com stinkers).
  • 12:30 pm--Fall asleep during the first of the movies and stay that way without Mr. H-B poking me to tell me I'm snoring.
  • 2:00 pm--Wake up from nap and find that Mr. H-B has loaded all of the dishes in the dishwasher and put away nearly all of the laundry (note: this has actually happened on more than one occasion). Sit on the couch and chat with Mr. H-B for a little bit.
  • 2:30 pm--Bake something delicious and possibly complicated, knowing that I won't have to clean up the mess.
  • 3:30 pm--Have a serving of whatever delicious dish I created, probably with perfectly smooth vanilla ice cream.
  • 3:45 pm--Go for a long walk with Mr. H-B and Greta in weather that's just warm enough to go without a coat, but still requires a light jacket. A long sleeve tee would work equally well.
  • 4:45 pm - 11:00 pm--Read hundreds of pages in a new reading for fun novel. I know this is blasphemy, but it should be something mindless and bubble-gummy, though not romantic. Perhaps a Tom Clancy or John Grisham novel. Don't judge me.
  • 11:00 pm--Go to bed
So there you have it: a perfect day for Mrs. H-B. What does your perfect day entail?

8 comments:

Amina said...

what a perfect day!!
Mine involves sleeping, playing the sims, eating chocolate :)

FoxyJ said...

That sounds like my perfect day too!

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

Amina--that actually sounds pretty fab.

FoxyJ--could it be that grad school does this to a person?

Rachelle said...

Ah! We MUST be related! You're perfect day sounds just perfect to me. :)

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

haha! i'm pretty sure my mom would think it was a perfect day too. must be the montague in all of us! :)

MariLouise said...

love, Love, LOVE Cracker Barrel breakfasts!! I always get the french toast...and hashbrowns, grits, apple butter, biscuits....

Sally said...

Sounds heavenly. My favorite part is where your husband does the dishes and laundry, and when you get to read. I hope this day happens for you!!

PS your profile picture is adorable.

ferskner said...

I love Dorie Greenspan! Her pieces on NPR are the best.

Mine would involve sleeping in a bit, reading, watching movies/TV-on-DVD, and making out. Sorry.