3.26.2010

Quilting


My first attempt at a quilt top was abysmal. I'm still working on it, but there are SO many mistakes. My second top was marginally better, but I'm not quite ready to show it to you yet. I should mention that every one of my mistakes is a result of my failure to "measure twice, cut once".

This is my third quilt top and the first quilt that I have finished. As I mentioned before, my hand-quilting skills leave a lot to be desired. I decided that I should stick with tied quilts until I improve my stitching.

I made this quilt for Mr. H-B's grandmother, who spent about a week in the hospital at the beginning of January. Following a truly miraculous recovery, she spent another few weeks in a rehab center. It was after visiting her there that I thought I should make her a lap quilt. Because I slowed down and followed the directions, this quilt came together very quickly. In fact, tying it was probably the most time-consuming aspect of it! As it turns out, a thimble is a good thing when one is trying to force a large needle, threaded with yarn, through multiple layers of fabric and batting.

Of course there are mistakes in this quilt, binding it was particularly challenging. The corners aren't all aligned and the edges are lumpy in some places. Still, I love the way the colors go together. Best of all, Grandma B loved it! She kept it on her bed at the rehab center and likes to show it off to people who come to visit her.

8 comments:

Camie said...

HI maria!!
Just stick with it--despite any mistakes. I have made dozens of quilts, and they all have mistakes and corners that don't match up evenly. But my feeling is that I'm fine with mistakes and I'm not going to make myself crazy over them or else I wouldn't quilt at all! I think it looks beautiful--what a thoughtful gift!

Señora H-B said...

Thanks so much! I have been sticking with it. I've since finished another quilt and am starting two more. They're fun and people are always impressed. Which is a total bonus!

Amina said...

this is so beautiful Maria!!! I used to make patchwork by hand and it is a pain to measure and not making mistakes. My patchwork was mostly as table clothes so I can't even imagine an entire quilt. You should be so proud of you!
My favorite part is picking the fabrics/colors

Señora H-B said...

Amina--I have to say that I cheat a little bit! It's pretty easy to do with all of the tools that are available for cutting and sewing quilts. I'll have to chat with you about it sometime.

Layton Mom said...

I have only made one quilt from start to finish and it was an easy one. The binding about killed me but I have since learned how to use bias tape and I am ready to give it another go. I need something fun for my guest room so maybe I will give it a try in my "spare" time. Yay for you doing something that you enjoy and that gives you satisfaction.

Señora H-B said...

I had no idea how satisfying sewing could be. I have been thinking about trying bias tape for the next quilt--it is SUCH a pain to make a binding! I burned my fingers a LOT when I was pressing. I have heard there's a little doo-hickey you can feed the fabric through, but I don't know where to get it.

ferskner said...

I wish I understood anything that was said in the comments... teach me, Mrs. H-B!

Señora H-B said...

hee hee, ferskner. I shall teach you all I know.