3.19.2010

Sewing Machine


The first Christmas we were married, Mr. H-B got me a water bottle and some Burt's Bees Peppermint Lip Balm. I got him a very expensive pistol. Consequently, he felt like a jerk. In his defense, even though I had hinted subtly that he should buy me a certain pair of earrings, I had been very cagey about the fact that I was going to spend a lot more money than we had budgeted. Which makes me the jerk.

Anyway, this last year, I tried a new approach. I told him what I wanted and where to get it.  On Christmas morning, there were no surprises or tears. So win-win. Right?

After extensive research in Consumer Reports, on Amazon, and after talking to my sister-in-law, I decided that the Brother machine was a good fit for me. It was only $89 (89!!!) and has actually gone down a bit in price. I have been very happy with this decision. I enjoy using the machine so much that I have been known to say, multiple times a day, "[Mr. H-B], best Christmas present ever!"

Someday I'm sure I'll want an upgrade, but for the time being, I'm happy with my new toy.

10 comments:

Camie said...

you should read the 'sew mama sew' blog. They have great inspiration for sewing projects--many that you would have never thought of! It's a great blog!

Amina said...

I should reconnect with my sewing days. Thank you for sharing the details of your sewing machine

Señora H-B said...

Camie--thanks for the tip! I have really enjoyed finding different sewing blogs. I went kind of bonkers sewing over the break. I can't wait to share pictures!

Amina--it's surprisingly relaxing! It forces me to focus on something unrelated to school and the associated guilt/stress.

Sarah said...

I want one of those for my birthday! My mom does the same thing for my dad with regards to gifts. He still doesn't understand why she wasn't thrilled about the snow tires he gave her for her birthday one year. Now he's got a specific list and there are consequently a lot less tears. (Kip)

Señora H-B said...

Yeah, that first Christmas was overly dramatic. For many reasons (mostly hormonal). Still, things are much better now that Mr. H-B knows what I want for birthdays and Christmas!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

My brother has been good to me the last 4 years, though I'm hitting the point where I want something heavier duty. Stronger motor, bigger opening so I can actually quilt, a serger possibly. But it's a perfect first sewing machine in my opinion. Glad you're enjoying it!

Jena Nicole said...

I have a Brother also... The Project Runway, special edition.
I have, as of yet, to use it. I'm kind of afraid I'll hurt it.
I mean, I sew things by hand all the time... But, there's something about that machine that scares the crap out of me.

Señora H-B said...

Celia--I can definitely see wanting something a little more heavy duty in the future. I some quilting coming up and I don't know if my machine will be able to handle it.

Jena--I was very scared, too. So far, so good though!

ferskner said...

I'm glad our machine's had a play date and are now best friends.

Señora H-B said...

They totally are!