3.10.2010

Sweet Dreams

As a missionary in Chile, I once slept through the neighbors being carted off to jail in the night. Of COURSE we were doing companionship exchanges with the mission president's daughters and of COURSE everyone in the apartment (5 other people) were talking loudly, there were sirens and yelling. And all the while I slept, blissfully unaware. I also slept through my share of tremors, but that's another story for another day.

In 18 months of marriage, I have apparently lost my ability to sleep through anything. Mr. H-B sleeps through everything. I, on the other hand, wake up whenever he rolls over, despite owning a bed that purportedly allows you to drop a bowling ball on one side while balancing full glasses of red wine on the other side*. I also wake up when the neighbor's alarm goes off, when the heat kicks on, when the vaporizer runs out of water, you get the idea.

When we first got married, I thought my lack of sleep was because someone kept stealing the covers and throwing them on the floor. Hint: it wasn't me and it wasn't Greta. We solved that problem by jettisoning our bedspread and flat sheet. We each have our own down blanket. Problem 95% solved.

Some may say it's not very romantic. To those critics, I say: Is it very romantic to be running on four hours of sleep? Have you seen me when I'm sleep-deprived? It ain't pretty. And ain't no romance happening when we're about to murder each other. It seems a fair trade-off.

I suspect that my first full night of sleep won't come until we move to a house in the middle of the country with no neighbors. But probably not even then.

*Note: We have not tried this, although I am intrigued by the idea. Unfortunately, we do not own a bowling ball. Or red wine.

11 comments:

Cathryn said...

I totally agree about the downsides of sharing a bed. When we first got married I asked my sister-in-law if I would ever get used to someone rolling around and yanking the covers. She gave me a loud, "NEVER." Good thing the benefits out way the bad :). People think it's unromantic that we like to have a huge bed and sleep as far apart from each other as possible. For us, nothing is more comforting than to see the other person curled up asleep faaaarrrrr across the bed.

Señora H-B said...

We got a California King and I really wish we had just gotten a King so that we could be farther apart. I agree with you. It's very romantic to sleep far apart!

Jena Nicole said...

Seth and I find that a Queen is sufficient, when it's just us. But, he loves when Olivia co-sleeps... and the two of them are serious bed-hogs.
When I demanded that Olivia sleep in her own bed, Seth whined that he would be worried about her (across the room)... and I responded that it wasn't fair that I slept on the VERY EDGE of my own bed. Especially since, I was the one getting up whenever it was that Olivia wanted up.
So, now I only ocassionally wake up to being pushed out of the bed when Seth has smuggled Olivia across the room.
But, we also don't share blankets. Mostly because Seth gets hot in the night and kicks them all off... and I wake up FREEZING. So, this way, I stay warm and toasty.

Señora H-B said...

I can't imagine co-sleeping in a queen. To be honest, I can't imagine co-sleeping period. I have been blessed with two very un-snuggly bedmates. Mr. H-B and I both cling to our respective sides of the bed and Greta isn't remotely interested in cuddling in the night. Add a baby in there and I might just die of claustrophobia.

Amina said...

aaw...I am also a light sleeper and wake up at everything....

Señora H-B said...

Amina--I SO feel your pain now! I used to be such a heavy sleeper. I miss it.

rookie cookie said...

I have your solution. Sleep with a box fan turned backward, backwards so the cold air doesn't blow on you and you don't get too cold in the lame spring weather.

Sleeping with a box fan is one my greatest joys in life. The drone of the fan puts me right to sleep and cuts out any snoring from my husband. And boy, can he snore like the dickens.

Señora H-B said...

Rookie--I'm sad to say that my sleeping is this bad even WITH a fan. I'm going to try upping the speed a notch, though, and see if it doesn't help. Thanks for reminding me of that!

Katie said...

We had the same problem. His snoring and the jet-engine-of-an-air-conditioner woke me up ALL NIGHT LONG!

We got a big room fan that constantly runs all night and smoothes out the interuptions.

Saved our marriage

ferskner said...

Want to borrow Giggles? Then you can have little chirps and digging through seeds to make your sleep that much more restful.

Señora H-B said...

Katie and Rookie--I'm pleased to report that cranking the fan up a notch has made a miraculous difference. Ah, uninterrupted sleep.

Ferskner--Yeah...no. Although, I'm sure Greta would love to see Gigles.