4.26.2010

Geese

There is a big pond out behind our apartment building. Last summer, I learned that Greta is especially enamored of the pond. She likes to go in about chest deep and splash around. She looks ridiculous and, when the water is particularly stagnant, smells terrible afterwards. Greta quickly learned to avoid the southern end of the pond when a snapping turtle nearly took her leg off. Let me tell you, you have never seen a dog move so quickly, leaping out of the water and on to the shore in a split second, like something out of The Matrix.

But I digress. I noticed that Canadian geese seem to really like the pond and the surrounding woods. They honk loudly in the morning and hiss at Greta from their perches on the roof. Since we moved here at the end of May, I wasn't 100% sure that they were actually nesting here. Well, on Saturday, I discovered they were. I walked out with Greta and found no fewer than 20 geese and as many fluffy, yellow goslings. After taking Greta back inside, I returned with my camera and got surprisingly close to one of the goose families.



5 comments:

Julie said...

These pictures are seriously causing me to reevaluate my list of the cutest baby animals...

Señora H-B said...

I know, right? Isn't that little gosling just the cutest thing in the world? Plus, I love their feet. I am such a sucker for baby animals. :)

Grandma H said...

What great pictures! adorable

Mr. Rich said...

Spectacular! Yes and adorable, but the images are great!

Señora H-B said...

Thanks Ma & Pa!