6.30.2010

Motivation

In general, I consider myself a diligent person. I wake up with the sun and stay busy for most of the day. My house is clean, the laundry is almost always caught up, the dishes don't pile up in the sink, and I have completed what feels like a million and one sewing projects in the last few months. The problem? I seem to lack all motivation for making progress on my dissertation proposal.

I have about three weeks left to write my entire proposal and what am I doing? Blogging, quilting, shopping for our road trip to the Land of Enchantment, buying presents for Mr. H-B, essentially anything but working on my proposal. I'm sure that, on some level, this lack of motivation reflects a fear of failure/commitment/my committee, but I really do want to finish on time.

Help! What do you do to motivate yourself to get things done?

5 comments:

llegue said...

hey...when are you coming?

Amina said...

I am struggling with the same issue too! I really have a HARD time motivating myself, do a bunch of stuff to get ready to do what I am supposed to do and fail. This reading list is getting longer then I panick, do other stuff...sigh

Señora H-B said...

Llegue--I think we'll be there from the 9th or 10th to the 20th or so? It's kind of flexible since it depends on Mr. H-B's work schedule, weather, and when my brother wants his kids back...

Amina--Yeah, it's a never-ending cycle...

Elizabeth said...

Maria, put away the sewing machine, disconnect the internet, remove solitaire from your computer & phone and get to work!!!! Good luck! love you!

Señora H-B said...

Elizabeth--I'll never forgive Isaac for reavealing my dirty secret! :)

Seriously, though, thanks for the kick in the butt. Not sure if it was your comment, or what, but today has been a very productive one!