12.10.2010

Defensive

My dissertation proposal defense was scheduled for yesterday evening, from 4-6pm. When I walked out of the room (after two hours and 40 minutes of presentation and discussion) for committee deliberation, two of my dear grad school friends were waiting outside the door. What a wonderful surprise. Not 10 minutes later, the committee chair walked out and said, "Don't worry, we weren't talking about you the whole time." I walked in the room to a chorus of "Congratulations!" from my four committee members.

To say I am walking on sunshine today would be an understatement.

9 comments:

Camie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! What a big step to have behind you--so much work for you! You need to find something great to do to celebrate!!

Señora H-B said...

Thank you!

I celebrated last night with ice cream.

I'm celebrating later by having people over--something we haven't done all semester because of the stress. I'm so excited to host a party!

I'll celebrate next week by allowing myself to cut out the pieces to a new quilt.

Cathryn said...

That's so exciting! I also love how you have such a fun and supportive grad department. Non-competitiveness is the best!

Señora H-B said...

Thanks Cathryn!

The department is really incredible. I have heard so many horror stories about grad students stealing their colleagues' work or sabotaging their efforts. I can't imagine. Well, I imagine I wouldn't still be in grad school...

Amina said...

I am sooo happy for you! You worked SO hard!! I am also glad thatyou are celebrating in different ways. YAY!

melissa said...

Congrats!!! I'm so excited that all your hard work is paying off. Good luck on the final leg of this journey. :) (Bain)

llegue said...

YAY!!!!!!!!

Señora H-B said...

Thank you all!!

Elizabeth said...

Wahoo! Way to go, Mania! We're so excited for you! wished we could have seen you in NM.