1.25.2011

Day 5--Oh, the Places I've Been


I really used to love to travel. There was nothing that made me happier than whipping out my passport for a stamp from a new country. The state of air travel today has really changed my perspective on travel (ie, I hate it). However, there are a few places I've been that I hope will stay in my memory forever. And someday, when I'm loaded and can travel first class, maybe I'll go back and visit.

First up, White Pine County, Nevada. It may not look like much to many of you, but to me it's home. I grew up here, surrounded by mountains. I miss the smell of sagebrush, brisk summer evenings, and having an unobstructed view of the horizon. (I do not miss windchills of -60, however...)


Next, Yauri, Peru. My family lived in the Peruvian Altiplano for nearly eight years. Some might consider it a desolate wasteland. Like my dad, I find a lot of beauty in the austerity of high desert landscapes.


I only lived in Massachusetts for two years; nevertheless, I fell hopelessly in love with the ocean. I still have dreams where I spend a beautiful, sunny day, sitting on the white sands of Chatham. Of all the places I've been, this one calls me back more than any other.


The Cliffs of Moher (or the Cliffs of Insanity for film buffs) are spectacular. There's really nothing else to say except get thee to Ireland.


The first country I visited without my family was Spain. I will never forget the sounds, smells, and sights of thousand-year-old cities, bull fights, and world-class art museums. Still, the experience that comes to mind whenever I think of Spain is the Alhambra. The decorations and ambiance really defy description.


I've lived in the Glorious Midwest for nearly six years. In that time, I have gone from loathing to mild disinterest to love. I have grown accustomed to sweltering humidity and bitterly cold winters (not without complaint, though, I'm not that easy to please). Sometimes this place takes my breath away.





No comments: