2.21.2011

Day 30--Comfort Books

I love books. I have loved them since I learned to read. I remember using a vocabulary word in 2nd grade to describe myself as 'a voracious reader.' I am generally not a re-reader of books. However, there are a few that I return to time and again:

I return to the LDS Scriptures almost daily. I find a lot of solace in the words I read in the scriptures. I turn to them when I need comfort, inspiration, or just a boost.

"Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend." Mosiah 4:9


I have read A Little Princess probably 50 times in my whole life. I love the story and I love Frances Hodgson Burnett's style of writing. Of course I also love The Secret Garden, but A Little Princess is where my heart is.

"Whatever comes," she said, "cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumph to be one all the time when no one knows it."

I am a little ashamed to admit just how many times I've re-read Harry Potter over the years. I find it so relaxing to sit down and read about Harry's adventures when I'm under a lot of stress or have had to do a lot of heavy duty academic reading in a given day.

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." 

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

I agree with you on the Harry Potter book series. I've only had them since Christmas, and I am reading them for like the 7th time through!