3.06.2011

Good, Better, Best

My therapist and I have been talking a lot about overcoming my insatiable need for perfection. The reality is that it's impossible to be perfect at everything all the time. In fact, it's not even desirable to be perfect at everything all of the time. This has been a bitter reality for me to face. I felt physically sick to my stomach when my therapist suggested that my mantra for the year be 'Good enough is good enough'. Good enough has NEVER been good enough for me.

As I strive to live up to this, I've started following the advice given by Dallin H. Oaks in an October 2007 General Conference talk entitled "Good, Better, Best". In this talk, he contends that all of us are expected to do more than we can possibly do. He says:
"We should begin by recognizing the reality that just because something is good is not sufficient reason for doing it. The number of good things we can do far exceeds the time available to accomplish them. Some things are better than good, and these are the things that should command priority attention in our lives."
In the case of some of these good things, I've had to choose not to do them or choose to do them in a good enough way. Why? Well, Oaks says that:
"We have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families."
My relationship with my God and my family have to be the priorities in my life--even ahead of friendships and my career. I have found, though, that as I make God and family my priority, many of the good things fall into place (or fall off my mental map). Focusing on the better and best things has helped me to recognize the place that my career should have in my life. While it is important for me to enjoy and be dedicated to my profession, my faith and relationship with God and my family need to come first. Even when it comes to my activity in my church, I need to place emphasis on building my relationship with God and with Mr. H-B.

How do you prioritize the good, better, and best things in your life?

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

I really like that talk.

For me learning to say no has been important and it's something I've been working on lately. It's helped a lot to set clear boundaries of what I am doing and what I have time for so that I can confidently (but hopefully graciously, too) decline to do something I don't have the time, energy, or priority for.

Señora H-B said...

I'm definitely in agreement with you about saying no. It's a hard thing to learn!