3.08.2011

Zig-zag Quilt

I drew from this quilt pattern which was inspired by this quilt pattern to make a lap quilt for my grandfather's birthday. I knew I wanted the quilt to be more monochromatic than the other quilts I found online. Very detail-oriented readers (ie, my family) will recognize the dark brown fabric from the table runners and squares from the Hass-Bark wedding. There's so much of this fabric leftover that it will make an appearance later on this year. I chose a lighter tan fabric with a very subtle grass pattern. It was much harder than I had imagined to find a calico print without flowers in it. 

The quilt itself was incredibly easy to put together, though it involved a LOT of ironing. I cut the two fabrics into squares, which I then stitched together on a diagonal. I then cut the pieces in half and pressed along the seams. Then it was just a matter of stitching together the resulting squares into strips, then sewing the strips into a quilt top. 


This was my first pieced back. I love it. However, several people asked me if I had intended to place the lighter strip off center. I did. Next time I'll make sure to make it more clear that it's intended to be off-center. 


I finished the quilt with machine stitching. As much as my sister-in-law tells me it's cheating ;), I am a huge fan of machine quilting. I don't know that I'd ever complete a quilt if I couldn't take this shortcut.

I have plans to make this quilt again with several different color schemes.

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Wow! I'm really impressed with your quilts.

Señora H-B said...

Thank you! I really like the way this one turned out.