5.11.2012

Graduation

Graduation was really a premature formality; I haven't defended my dissertation yet. Still, it was pretty thrilling to walk across the stage and have my name read in a crowd of thousands. My parents came into town for the ceremony and to help me throw a party the following day. My dad shot the pictures below and did a great job. I ordered a gown that was significantly larger than it needed to be, so I felt extra self-conscious about looking like a house. But you know what? I don't even care now.  

Sitting through a very dry commencement talk.

The university president in his pretty awesome robes. 

Being hooded by my advisor. Each university has their own,
unique robes, so all of the advisors wear different regalia
than their students. My advisor was pretty excited!

With my advisor.

With my wonderful parents. 

With Mr. H-B, who sat in very uncomfortable seats for a long time.

Dr. H-B (sort of...not until the 23rd, actually).
All in all, I think it was worth the robe rental (I chose not to buy until we can better afford it) and the long ceremony. It was exciting to be hooded by my advisor and to see how thrilled he was. I think it provided a good beginning to the end of graduate school. It's so hard to believe that this journey is almost over! Now it's on to the real world...

6 comments:

Cathryn said...

It is SO exciting and such a big deal! Congratulations, again. Just looking at the pictures is motivating for me!

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

YAY!!!! Congratulations! That is so wonderful Maria!!!

Señora H-B said...

Thanks all!

Amina said...

I am soooo proud of you and happy!!! This is simply amazing and so inspiring! Congratulations <3

Señora H-B said...

Thanks!

Charlotte L said...

Hooray! Congratulations!