6.04.2012

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Maya and Greta, best friends.
The next few months are full of all sorts of changes for our little family. 
  1. We are moving to a larger rental. It's the center unit of a triplex in the same apartment complex where we live now. It's a two-bedroom, two-bath unit with an attached garage. We are really excited to live on the ground floor and not have to haul groceries up three flights of stairs. 
  2. One of the reasons for this move (not just because Mr. H-B is tired of me banging on the door, telling him to hurry when he's in the bathroom...) is that we are taking my parents' dog, Maya. My parents are planning to serve a mission for our church, and leaving my brother and sister-in-law with three dogs seems like a little much. Maya has a degenerative congenital joint condition, so stairs would be hard on her knees. Furthermore, she far exceeds the weight limit for upstairs dogs in our complex. The good news is that Maya and Greta are already the best of friends. Well, actually, the good news is that while Maya is a textbook Alpha dog, Greta is a textbook....I don't even know, Omega dog? She is the world's most submissive animal, so they get along swimmingly. 
  3. I'm starting a new position in the fall. I will continue to work for the same university where I earned my PhD, just as a visiting lecturer. This means a huge pay increase (100%, to be precise) and an office to share, instead of just a cubicle. I am looking forward to having a bit of my own office shelf space so that I can devote a little more of our guest room to sewing and other pursuits. 
I'm really excited for all of the change, though I'm sure I'll have my share of breakdowns. Moving is so stressful, but I really do love sorting, donating, and trashing stuff. I'm excited to add Maya to Hass-Bark mix, even if I am a little sad about Greta's days as the princess coming to a close. Let's be honest, she's the closest thing that I have to a kiddo, and she definitely gets treated that way. It'll be good practice for any future children that might come our way.

4 comments:

Maggie B. said...

How exciting for you! Yippee! I've only moved 2 times, if you don't count when I went away to college. I think I'd be scared to move now, with so much junk that I have!

And your dogs are adorable! And good for you for taking your mom's dog. Where are they going on a mission to?

Señora H-B said...

They don't know yet where they'll go, but the plan is to go in October. I'm excited for them.

I am so worried about all of the stuff that we have to pack up. We have a lot more than when we last moved....

Cathryn said...

Congratulations on the job! That's exciting - and pay of any kind is fantastic! I'm so glad you're blogging more again!

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Yes, that is great about the job and the pay raise! I am excited to hear where your parents will end up going this fall! It's been fun hearing about my parent's experience at the MTC. I definitely agree about the whole moving thing...it's nice to be forced to go through stuff and throw some out!